Earlier this year, in March, we marked ten years here at K-Jet.org. Over that decade, I’ve owned at least 14 Volvos, and documented them here on the website. Tons of things have changed in my life, but one small consistency has been the cars.
Usually in these anniversary posts (which themselves are usually several months late), I end up writing about my future car plans.
I’ve been shopping for 2004-07 Volvo V70R’s for several years. I’ve test driven several of them, but I just can’t pull the trigger and actually buy one. I always pay cash for cars, so there’s that – it’s a big outlay. But they are also incredibly needy and very expensive to maintain, and none of them are ever in as nice of shape as they appear online. People list a V70R at twice the blue book, and you go to look at it thinking it must be immaculate, and it turns out it actually still needs $4,000 of suspension and drivetrain work!
So, I’m building what I call my “almost R” – taking the solid platform of the 1996 Volvo 855 platinum edition that I already own and building that up.
I also bought this:
A 1997 Volvo 850, non-turbo, that’s been beat up, is making some scary engine noises, and has a funky-smelling interior. Sounds terrible, but it was cheap and has a very nice 5-speed transmission. Since it’s only seen non-turbo power, the transmission still shifts smoothly even with 180,000 miles on the clock.
This past weekend I pulled the transmission out of this car. It wasn’t an easy task, but was doable with an engine support beam, floor jack, transmission jack, and a LOT of patience. Over the coming weeks I’ll be putting it into the 1996 855 platinum, with a list of other goodies:
- Volvo M56H manual transmission, shifter, etc.
- Replacement of wear items, such as hydraulic clutch cylinders, hoses, seals, subframe bushings, etc.
- Euro 850R clutch kit
- Quaife Limited Slip Differential (inside the transmission)
- Snabb Short Throw Shift Kit (on top of the transmission)
- Snabb intake pipe
- Snabb 960 throttle plate
- do88.se big intercooler and piping kit
- do88.se silicone hoses throughout
- Non-turbo throttle body and intake manifold (from 1997)
- Non-turbo camshafts (from 1997)
- Gates blue timing belt
- OEM valve guide seals
- Platinum-painted OEM rear wagon spoiler with LED brake light
- Volvo windshield banner vinyl (silver text on black background)
- European side markers
So, onward with the car projects and the Volvo adventures. Who knows what I’ll be driving in 10 years – maybe a Tesla – but for now, still racking up the miles on my Volvo wagons.